DFM1™ – ON LINE DRY FILM
DFM1 will save you buckets of money and deliver perfect coated product quality throughout every order. It’s the only on-line film thickness instrument proven to deliver a consistent edge to edge average thickness variation as small as 0.1 micrometers. That alone delivers up to 5% savings in paint. Paint specifications can be confidently controlled within a non-averaged +/- 0.5 micrometers.
DFM1 is a fully automated instrument that is simple to use requiring no operator input. It’s calibration free and will deliver perfect compliance to your products quality specifications across 98% of pigmented paint types.
DFM1 delivers the highest precision of any on line film thickness instrument without the need for calibration to paint type.
• Measures both edges and the middle of the strip throughout production
• Our clients with DFM1 are balancing their edge to edge thickness to 0.1 micrometers
• Fully calibrated for all paint types and substrates – excludes clear and rubber coats
• DFM1 provides a complete production record – tonnes painted, speed, and line stops
• Scans across the strip from the start and during every coil
• Uses a unique patented direct measurement principle for ultimate accuracy
• Suitable for line speeds up to 200 mpm
• Suitable for strip widths up to 1.8 meters
• Upper thickness tested to 100 micrometers
• Lower thickness tested to 3 micrometers
• Patented laser detection of the substrate surface
• Measurements are programmable to pre-set intervals
• Can be integrated with WFM products for separate primer thickness
• Can be integrated with coater head control for full closed loop control
• Records all actions and results in a perpetual database in CSV format
• Detects and discards errors, for example, when there is no coating present
CCS1 COATING CONTROL SYSTEM
COMPLETE CONTROL OF PRIMER and TOPCOAT
WET and DRY FILM BUILD
The Wolf Innovation suite of products deliver fabulous benefits but with so many choices they pose the question of what to install. So how do you decide what components logically fit together to deliver the best business outcome for your production line. Here you will find the logical combinations for complete quality assurance of all coating layers. The instrument packages are designed to deliver the best outcomes and the best business case to suit your needs.
BUILD IT UP ONE COMPONENT AT A TIME
One of the great things about this system is that you don’t need to buy it all right from the start.
There are two logical alternative starting points to build up CCS1. The choice between these is simply based on available capital. If its low then start with DFM-Ultra to get immediate paint savings and guarantee quality. In fact DFM-Ultra is so cost effective, every paint line should have this – regardless. A great advantage of DFM-Ultra is that it can easily be upgraded to a full DFM1 at any time in the future. Having started with DFM-Ultra the next logical step is to add WFM1 and PVS1. This addition adds the ability to set up the coater before production commences. WFM1 and DFM-Ultra talk during production and compare notes. DFM-Ultra will fine tune WFM1 for perfect monitoring of every coil from the very first metre.
The other great starting point is WFM1 with PVS1. Eliminate test strips, eliminate wet film wheel track marks, save paint, save steel and improve your lines yield. If you do test strips now the savings are likely to be well above $1,000,000 every year. Use your first month’s savings to add in DFM-Ultra.
That combination – WFM1/PVS1/DFM-Ultra is the foundation of CCS1. It’s the perfect basis from which to introduce closed loop control. It is a wonderfully automated easy to use system. Of course the operator will still have to do paint volume solids testing which takes a minute of his or her time at every paint change.
ADD A PHAETON
Now you’ve got your topcoat fully in control. That’s where the biggest savings are. You can now focus on primers and backers.
I personally like the idea of adding a Phaeton lab thickness instrument at this stage of the CCS1 build up. It’s unique in that in just 2 seconds you get hundreds of measurements from edge to edge – a full profile of thickness results providing unprecedented information on the condition of your coater roll and the coater set-up. Phaeton should be located just near the exit shear of the paint line. Cut the sample and measure the profile in seconds. Ideally the monitor showing the sample results is located at the coater room with a second monitor in the quality control lab. Measure the topside, then flip over the sample and measure the bottom side. Generate a sample of primed strip at the leading edge of each coil so that you can measure primer thickness quickly and efficiently, and again, on both sides of the strip.
So when should you add the Phaeton – about 2 months after installing WFM1/PVS1. Just use the savings in hand – it won’t cost anything in real terms.